Date of birth: 4-10-1960
Place of Birth: Thessaloniki, Greece
1997-2008: Research Associate (AM&WFG)
Activities: Atmospheric Dynamics (Synoptic and Mesoscale Modeling), Regional Climate, Severe Weather Phenomena, Agricultural Meteorology
1998-2003: University of Athens, School of Physics (PhD), subject: cloud microphysics
1983-1985: University of Athens, School of Physics (MSc), subject: Meteorololgy
1978-1982: University of Ioannina, School of Physics(BSc), subject: Physics.
- Mavromatidis E. and G. Kallos, 2003: "An Investigation of Cold Cloud Formation with a 3-D Model with Explicit Microphysics", Journal of Geophysical Research, 108 (D14), 4420-4441.
- Lekas Th., E. Mavromatidis and G. Kallos, 2006: "Some Considerations on the Airborne Cloud Microphysical Probing", Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 92 (3-4), 217-230.
- Mavromatidis E., Theodoros I. Lekas and G. Kallos, 2007: "Analysis of a two-layer Cloud System with RAMS model and Comparison to Airborne Observations", Enviromental Fluid Mechanics , 7, 537-568.
- Kallos G., N. Pirrone, A. Voudouri, I. Pytharoulis, and O. Kakaliagou, E. Mavromatidis, M. Varinou, F. Gofa, P. Katsafados, F. Sprovieri, and P. Costa, 2001: "Atmospheric mercury in the Mediterranean Region: A source-receptor relationship study". 4th Open Science meeting of the European Land-Ocean Interaction Studies (ELOISE), 5-7 September, 2001, University of Calabria, Rende, Italy, Session 3, pg. 96.
- G. Kallos, E. Mavromatidis, 2002: Cloud microphysics retrieval with the aid of limited area model. Spring Colloquium on the Physics of Weather and Climate: REGIONAL WEATHER PREDICTION MODELLING AND PREDICTABILITY, SMR 1403, 8-19 April 2002, SMR. 1403, Trieste, Italy.
- Kallos G., E. Mavromatidis, G. Galanis, F. Gofa, A. Laskaratos, G. Korres, G. Tombras, G. Sovatzoglou, C. Sarlanis, C. Efstathiou, K. Politis, J. Vergados, G. Sakelaridis, E. Markou, C. Tremback and J. Snook, 2002: NHREAS: A very High Resolution Weather, Wave and Ship Safety Forecasting. Atmospheric Modelling From Microscale to Global, 5th RAMS Workshop and Related Applications, 30 September- 3 October 2002, Santorini, Greece, pp. 22.
- E. Mavromatidis and G. Kallos, 2002: A study of Cold and Warm Cloud Formation with RAMS. Atmospheric Modelling From Microscale to Global, 5th RAMS Workshop and Related Applications, 3 October 2002, Santorini, Greece, pp. 48.
- Kallos G., M. Varinou, F. Gofa, M. Astitha, M. O' Connor, E. Mavromatidis and A. Voudouri, 2002: A Multi-Scale Transport and Transformation of Air Pollutants in the Mediterranean Region and North Africa. Atmospheric Modelling From Microscale to Global, 5th RAMS Workshop and Related Applications, 30 September- 3 October 2002, Santorini, Greece, pp. 1.
- Kallos G., F. Gofa, M. Varinou, M. O' Connor, E. Mavromatidis, M. Astitha and G. Tsiligiridis, 2002: Photo-oxidation Processes in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. 8th FECS Conference on Chemistry and the Environment Chemistry for a Sustaining World, 31 August- 4 September 2002, Athens, Greece.
- G. Kallos, G. Galanis, P. Katsafados, E. Mavromatidis, 2007: Local wind speed forecasting and applications to power prediction, EGU 2007, Vienna, Austria, 15-20 April 2007.
- Mavromatidis E., G. Kallos, P. Katsafados and M. Astitha, 2007: Study of a summer storm in Northern Greece with the aid of a Regional Atmospheric Modelling System, 8th Pan-Hellenic Geographical Conference of the Greek Geographical Society, Athens 4-7 October 2007.
- G. Kallos, M. Astitha, P. Katsafados, Chr. Spyrou and E. Mavromatidis: Saharan Dust Transport and its Impact on Air Quality, Ecosystems and Regional Climate. International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences (IAMAS), 2-13 July 2007, Perugia, Italy.
- M. Astitha, G. Kallos, P. Katsafados and E. Mavromatidis: Heterogeneous Chemical Processes and their Role on Particulate Matter Formation in the Mediterranean Region. 29th NATO/CCMS International Technical Meeting on Air Pollution Modelling and its Applications, Aveiro, Portugal, 2007.
- G. Kallos, C. Spyrou, C. Mitsakou, S. Solomos, I. Kousta, I. Pytharoulis, P. Katsafados, E. Mavromatidis and N. Papantoniou: Ten - year Operational dust forecasting - Recent Model Development and Future Plans. WMO / GEO Expert Meeting, 7-9 November 2007, Barcelona, Spain.
- P. Katsafados, E. Mavromatidis, A. Papadopoulos and G. Kallos, 2008: The implementation of a data assimilation system and its impact on the forecast skill of a limited area atmospheric model, 9th Conference of Meteorology, Climatology and Atmospheric Physics, 9th COMECAP, Thessaloniki, 28-31 May, 2008.
- G. Kallos, M. Astitha, C. Spyrou, S. Solomos, J. Kushta, E. Mavromatidis, C. Mitsakou, 2008 : Saharan dust and anthropogenic aerosols-regional characteristics. 1st International conference: from Deserts to Monsoons, 1-6 June 2008, Crete, Hellas.
- G.Kallos, S. Solomos, I. Kushta, E. Mavromatidis amd M. Astitha, 2008: Natural Sources of PM and their impact on cloud and precipitation. 10th Plinius Conference on Mediterranean Storms, Vol 10, PLINIUS 10-A-00130, Nicosia, Cyprus, 22-24 September.
Participation at projects
- 2006-2008: Data Integration System for Eutrophication Assessment in Coastal Waters (InSea).
- 2004-2007: Grid enabled Remote Instrumentation with Distributed Control and Computation (GRIDCC).
- 2003-2004: Atmospheric Model Development and Weather forecasting for the Athens Olympic Games of 2004. Funded by the Ministry of Culture/ General Secretariat for Olympic Games and the Organization "ATHENS 2004".
- 2003-2006: Mediterranean Forecasting System Toward Environmental Predictions (MFSTEP).
- 2002-2005: Development and Application of Validated Geophysical Ocean Wave Products from ENVISAT ASAR and RA-2 Instruments (EnviWave).
- 2002-2006: Development of a Next Generation Wind Resource Forecasting System for the Large-Scale Integration of Onshore and Offshore Wind Farms (ANEMOS) (ENK5-CT-2002-00665)
- 2001-2004: Atmospheric Deposition and Impact of Pollutants, Key Elements on the Open Mediterranean Sea (ADIOS). EVK3-2000-00604.
- 2000-2003: Subgrid-scale Investigation of Factors Determining the Occurrence of Ozone and Fine Particles (SUB-AERO.
- 1998-2001: NHREAS, A very High Resolution Weather, Wave and Ship Safety Forecasting System. Project: New EKBAN 1.3-87, Ministry of Development- General Secretariat for Research and Technology.
- 1997-2000: Investigation of cloud by ground-based and airborne Radar and Lidar (CARL), EU/DG-XII, Contract: ENV4-CT-95-0036
- 1998-2000: POSEIDON: Supply, Installation and Operation of a System of Floating Oceanographic Measurement Stations for the Monitoring and Forecasting of the Greek Seas
- 1997-1998: Development of a high resolution weather forecasting system in high performance computers, Project EPET-II no. 322, "SKIRON" Supported by EU and GSRT
- 1997-1998: Study of the atmospheric circulation and dispersion of air pollutants in the Greater area of Western Macedonia from local and foreign sources. Project PENED no. 87, Supported by the GSRT (General Secretariat of Research and Technology).