|Date of birth:||24-12-1967|
|Place of Birth:||Chania, Greece|
|Marital Status:||Married with one child|
|Greek Naval Academy,||University of Athens|
|Section of Mathematics, Hatzikyriakion 185 39,||and||School of Physics Division of Physics of Environment - Meteorology Atmospheric Modeling and Weather Forecasting Group University Campus, Building PHYSICS V,|
|Phone: +302104581336||15784 Athens, Greece
|E-mail:||ggalanis 'at' mg.uoa.gr,|
|ggalanis 'at' snd.edu.gr|
- B.Sc., University of Athens, Department of Mathematics, 1990
- M.Sc., University of Athens, Department of Mathematics, 1991, Mathematics
- Ph.D., University of Athens, School of Mathematics, 1995, Differential Geometry and Differential Equations
FIELDS OF SCIENTIFIC INTERESTS - ACTIVITIES
- Statistical algorithms (Kalman filters, KZ filters) for the improvement of the results of numerical prediction models with applications to meteorology and oceanography
- Wave modeling and marine meteorology
- Data assimilation
- Wind Energy prediction and applications
- Stochastic calculus and applications on differential equations and manifolds
|Number of publications in journals:||29|
|Number of publications in conference proceedings:||24|
|Number of books, dissertation, etc:||3|
SOME SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- P. Louka, G. Galanis, G. Kallos, G. Kariniotakis, et. al., Improvements in wind speed forecasts for wind power prediction purposes using Kalman filtering, Journal of Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics, to appear.
- G. Emmanouil, G. Galanis, L.A. Breivik et. al., Assimilation of radar altimeter data in numerical wave models: An impact study in two different wave climate regions, Ann. Geophys. 25 (3), 2007, pp. 581-595.
- G. Galanis, P. Louka, P. Katsafados, G. Kallos and I. Pytharoulis, Applications of Kalman filters based on non-linear functions to numerical weather predictions, Ann. Geophys., 24, 2451-2460, 2006.
- G. Galanis and M. Anadranistakis, A one dimensional Kalman filter for the correction of near surface temperature forecasts, Meteorological Applications, 9, 2002, pp. 437-441.
- G. Galanis, T. Gnana Bhaskar and V. Lakshmikantham, Set differential equations in Frechet spaces, Journal of Applied Analysis, 14 (1), 2008, to appear.
- G. Galanis, CTJ Dodson and E. Vassiliou, Isomorphism classes for Banach vector bundle structures of second tangents, Math Proc Camb Phil Soc 141 (2006) 489-496.
- G. Galanis and CTJ Dodson, Bundles of acceleration on Banach manifolds, Nonlinear Analysis, Vol. 63/5-7 pp 465-471.
- G. Galanis and CTJ Dodson, Second order tangent bundles of infinite dimensional manifolds, Journal of Geometry and Physics, 52 (2004), pp. 127-136.
PARTICIPATION IN PROJECTS
- POW WOW, Prediction Of Waves, Wakes and Offshore Wind, 2005-2008.
- ANEMOS, Development of a Next Generation Wind Resource Forecasting System for the Large-Scale Integration of Onshore and Offshore Wind Farms (ENK5-CT-2002-00665), 2002-2005.
- ENVIWAVE, Development and Application of Validated Geophysical Ocean Wave Products from ENVISAT ASAR and RA-2 Instruments, EVG2-2001-00017, 2001-2004.
- MFSTEP, Mediterranean ocean Forecasting System : Toward Environmental Predictions, EVK3-CT-2002-00075, 2002-2003.
- ESPEN, An Enhanced operational System for wave monitoring and Prediction with Applications in Hellenic Navigation, 2006-2008.
- Atmospheric Model Development and Weather forecasting for the Athens Olympic Games of 2004. Funded by the Ministry of Culture/ General Secretariat for Olympic Games and the Organization "ATHENS 2004", 2003-2004.
- NHREAS, A very High Resolution Weather, Wave and Ship Safety Forecasting System. Project: New EKBAN 1.3-87, Ministry of Development- General Secretariat for Research and Technology, 1999-2001.
OTHER RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Member of the Greek, European and American Mathematical Society.
- Referee for scientific journals